Brenda J. Clark Weekend Painting Excursion for Adults:
"No one may quite understand my color choices or my mark making. Yet, I hope that most people develop some feelings from my paintings, and that these feelings stir them to think, examine, and imagine. Such reflection is one of my artistic pursuits, while striving for a subliminal beauty of the paint stroke."
Come and enjoy a three-day workshop of painting outside (from the grand front porch to down by the beach or seeking out the barns) in natural light. The workshop will be hosted at the Snowbird Inn. The Inn's setting will provide inspiration for all of the workshop sessions. We will utilize the large front porch, barn area, and garden, and we can even walk to the beach.
Acrylic paint will be used. It is water based and offers transparency and an opaque quality, while allowing for layering of brilliant color during composition. Participants and the artist will investigate color observation of structures and landscape within sight, and translate these into mark-making. Each session will offer discussion, experimental exercises and the opportunity to compose full paintings. Participants will paint on paper and wood, working transparent to building up thick paint strokes.
All levels of artistic skill and understanding are welcome. Invite a friend and venture up to Leelanau County for a great painting excurtion! Check out this great testimonial about the Snowbird Inn at Tales from Thyme and Place.
The all-inclusive painting workshop includes:
GENERAL WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Friday, April 19, 2013:
— Check in 12 noon.
— Welcome at 1 p.m. Appetizers and beverages provided.
— Painting Session I from 2—5 p.m. (Developing an underpainting).
— Hordourve's and local wine/tea 5—6 p.m. Dinner on your own.
Full breakfast provided at the Inn at 8 a.m.
Painting Session II from 9 a.m.—noon (Impasto on paper).
Box lunch provided on location from Sisson's Main Street Specialties of Leland.
Painting Session III from 1—4 p.m. (Impasto on wood).
Snacks and bottled water provided.
Dinner provided at Martha's Leelanau Table in Suttons Bay at 5:30 p.m.
Discussion, wine or coffee at Brenda J. Clark Gallery at 7 p.m.
Full breakfast provided at the Inn, 8 a.m.
Critique/Painting Session IV, 9—noon (Miniature woodblock).
Check out time 1 p.m.
To reserve a date and sign up, please send an email to email@example.com, or call the gallery at 231.492-2196. Registration forms will be sent per request.
ROOM RESERVATIONS/WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION OPTIONS
1. Option A: Registration fee $685. (Single workshop participant/occupant)
2. Option B: Registration fee $645. (Single workshop participant/occupant)
3. Option C: Registration fee $590 for each workshop participant sharing room.
4. Option D: Registration fee $570 for each workshop participant sharing room.
5. Add-on option: Fee $87.
6. Non-lodging option: Registration fee $445.
Accommodations are at the Snowbird Inn for the nights of May 4 and 5, 2012. Each room at the Snowbird Inn features a queen-sized bed and a private bath. Some of the rooms have private attached baths (just like a traditional "hotel" room). Some of the rooms have private baths "down the hall." These baths are private in the sense that they are not shared with any other guests, and are for your exclusive use. However, they are located down the hall from the room.
1. To reserve a date and sign up, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the gallery at 231.492-2196. Registration forms will be sent per request. Deadline: Registration is due by April 1, 2013. You may submit your registration by email or regular mail to: Brenda J. Clark, P.O. Box 1941, Leland, MI 49654. Make check payable to: Brenda J. Clark.
2. You will receive a confirmation, indicating that your registration request has been received. If you do not receive a confirmation within 48 hours, we have not received your registration. (There are five guest rooms at the Inn. They will fill quickly.) After submitting your application via email, print out, sign and return the registration form along with payment in full. Or, a registration form can be sent to you by regular mail.
ABOUT THE SNOWBIRD INN
Painting easel (light weight) or a fold up chair without arm rests works for propping a painting. Bring an extra chair in case you need a sitting break.
Paper (22 x 30), 5 - 7 sheets, arches 300lb. hot press (smooth) or other suitable brand. Brenda will also have paper available to purchase if you need more.
Painting board (to hold paper 22 x 30). Keep it portable.
Acrylic heavy body paints. Basic palette of colors comprised of any yellows, blues, reds and white you may have available. No black paint. Golden, Winsor-Newton, Utrech brands if possible. Or, bring what you use. Tubes of paint preferred over jars if possible.
1" Hog/Bristol paint brush (flat or filbert will work) or any large brushes you have available. Brenda's brushes will be available.
1" or wider masking or painting tape to secure paper.
Water container for rinsing paint brush.
Painting rags (cloth works best).
Palette. A plain paper plate (doubled or tripled) works great. Styrofoam plates are not preferred. Paper plates will be available.
Be portable. Some walking to sites will occur if weather permits. It is a ten minute walk through the woods to the Lake Michigan access. You may want to bring along some hiking shoes or boots.
What a great way to celebrate Earth Day Weekend!